Tuesday 2 February 2010

Lightening strikes AGAIN

As is my now custom each night before I retire I pull out the phone lines, no not because I do not want to be disturbed but because I have now had three computer modems "fried" by lightening strikes......Again last night this proved to be a very good precaution.  Being awakened at 0405hrs by the most enormous bang and the howl of the dog (no she was not shot), to find no power but lots of lightening around the Messinian bay. 
In the UK when the power goes off, its off until all returns to normal, here in Greece somehow they give you "low power", which results in the boiling of a kettle taking 20 minutes and many electronic items requiring 230/240 volts not working.  ie. computer monitor, DVD player & phone line power adapter.  Now items that would run on 110 volts either through adapters or otherwise all worked OK. LCD computer screen was fine!
I tolerated this until 1600hrs whilst waiting to see full power return....it did not, so a call in my best Greek to the ΔΕH seen two workmen arrive within 20 minutes (now that would happen in UK wouldn't it?). Some two hours later, men climbing poles and other workmen arriving with a crane to replace a mains transformer all is well again.......
It is said the lightening never strikes twice.......believe me it DOES

No comments: