Thursday 7 January 2010

Its all GO but no SNOW

With Christmas and New Year celebrations behind us and all the Christmas decorations taken down and packed away for another I guess its is now time to concentrate on the garden, olive trees and other such “winter” jobs. Now I have to be careful not to make my UK friends too envious, so I will not dwell on our morning stroll on the beach at Velika with the dog this morning in 19 C temperatures, nor will I make fun of snow bound Britain where it appears nobody has ever heard of SNOW CHAINS and risk life and limb whilst slipping and sliding on the roads whilst using all year round tyres totally unsuited to winter weather.

No, giving it second thought I will dwell on the tyres issue! In several European counties if you have an accident in snowy weather and have ventured to some areas without the correct tyres or snow chains you are heavily fined by the police. Listening to the UK news I have yet to hear any reporter or motoring expert raise the issue of snow chains. It hit home this morning that any person under 30 years old will not have experienced snowy weather conditions (or will not remember it) if they have not ventured outside the UK. During my trips to Greece in winter months I would not venture through Austria & Italy without my snow chains !!!!

Anyway back to normal Greek village life and the garden………second thoughts again, I think its time for an Ouzo and listen to the noise of chain cutters downing olive branches as the harvest is collected in…….

No comments: